[OpenLayers-Users] OL users which one is better: MapServer or GeoServer

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Mon Mar 3 12:35:49 EST 2008

Mike Quentel wrote:
> Hello fellow OL users.  Sorry in advance if this seems a bit "off the
> topic" (personally, I think it very relevant)...

Not to tread into a religious discussion lightly, I'll say that I enjoy
using MapServer, for a few reasons:

I'm already quite familiar with it, so no learning curve. Performance is
good, robustness is excellent. Configurability is simple, yet flexible.
With AGG, the image quality is superb. It works with both Layer.WMS and
Layer.MapServer which is great when you have to pull shenanigans such as
specifying a date and interpolating the variables.

I would also be very glad to hear opinions, especially in support of
GeoServer, as I have no expertise with it and am kinda itching for an
excuse to use it in a future project. :)

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth, BS, A+
System Administrator

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA