[OpenLayers-Users] Labels cut and repeated on tilling

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Mar 13 07:17:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:03:55AM +0200, Andrew de Klerk wrote:
> Hi kusum
>

> This is not really an openlayers issue. You are probably using mapserver to
> generate a WMS. This is a known issue when creating tiles. Labels are
> repeated for each tile in the case of polygons, and are sometimes cut
> off/duplicated for lines. Unfortunately, there is no real workaround for
> this yet. Some have mentioned to use tilecache between mapserver and
> openlayers, but I have tried this, and had no joy.

How so? I've had good luck with this to solve the problem. This is what
metaTiles were designed for.

> Using mapnik for your WMS
> may solve the issue, but I have not tried this.

Yes, though you probably do'nt want to use mapnik without TileCache in
the way if yo'ure using tiles, and TileCache should solve the problem
with a properly configured mapfile.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta