[OpenLayers-Users] WFS exception

Matthew Doyle mtd at bom.gov.au
Thu Mar 13 23:58:59 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I am relatively new to OpenLayers, so please forgive me if this is a simple
one.

I have an instance of OpenLayers 2.5 on my dev server which is happily
Now i have come to include a WFS layer of point based station data (simliar
to towns), which i have tested as a working layer through uDig, but when i
attempt to include it as a WFS layer in OpenLayers i get the following
exception thrown (in firebug):
[Exception... "'Permission denied to call method XMLHttpRequest.open' when
calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e
(NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no
emptyFunction()
getImagesLocation()
emptyFunction()
dispatch("http://ows.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/mapserver/users/ncc000/latest?typename=IDY03101_metarid&SERVICE=WFS&VE...",
Object method=get)
Class()
nullHandler("http://ows.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/mapserver/users/ncc000/latest?typename=IDY03101_metarid&SERVICE=WFS&VE...",
null, Object layer=Object position=x=-400,y=-300, function(),
undefined)OpenLayers.js
loadFeaturesForRegion(function(), undefined)

my code is as follows - the variable of interest being stationIDLayer with
{typename:'IDY03101_metarid'}

<script type="text/javascript">

function init() {

    var map = new OpenLayers.Map('map',{maxResolution: 0.703125} );
    var serviceURL =
"http://ows.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/mapserver/users/ncc000/latest?";

    var topogLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS('Aus 10M Elevation',
serviceURL, {layers: 'free_elevation', format: 'image/png' }, {buffer: 1,
isBaseLayer:true} );
     var ausCoastlineLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS('Aus Coastline',
serviceURL, {layers: 'free_australia_line', transparent: 'true', format:
'image/gif' }, {buffer: 1, isBaseLayer: false} );
     var rainfallPolygonLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS('Rainfall Polygon',
serviceURL, {layers: 'rainfall_polygon', format: 'image/png' }, {buffer: 1,
isBaseLayer:false} );
     map.addLayers([topogLayer, rainfallPolygonLayer, ausCoastlineLayer]);

     var stationIDLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WFS('Station ID', serviceURL,
{typename: 'IDY03101_metarid'},
       {
            minZoomLevel: 4,
            featureNS: 'http://www.openplans.org/topp',
            extractAttributes: false
       } );
     map.addLayer(stationIDLayer);

     map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.LayerSwitcher());
     map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.MousePosition());
     map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.OverviewMap());
     map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.PanZoomBar());

     // Set original zoom extent to just cover Australia
     map.zoomToExtent(new OpenLayers.Bounds(110.0,-5.0,160.0,-50.0));

     // avoid pink tiles
     OpenLayers.IMAGE_RELOAD_ATTEMPTS = 3;

}

</script>

Is my syntax incorrect? Or am i missing some parameter during the creation
of the WFS layer?

Many thanks in advance. Once again i am new to OL and apologise for any
simple error. Also, if there are any simple tutorials or good examples on
the correct usage of WFS layers, could you please link me to one?

Cheers and regards,
Matt