[OpenLayers-Users] SelectFeature.activate() - interferes with registered events

plen peteralen at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 22 18:48:55 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have an OpenLayers map where I have multiple markers and polygons.  Each
of the markers has "mousedown" events registered.  For the polygons, I have
added a SelectFeature conrol on the layer that holds the polygons.  This is
my problem.....  In order for the onSelect function to be called for the
SelectFeature, you must "activate" the control.  When this happens, none of
the marker's mousedown events can be triggered and you essentially have to
know ahead of time that you specifically want to only click on polygons.  I
see two problems:

1) When I activate the control, I do not get notified when I click on a
marker.  I only get notified for my onSelect function. It is an either / or
scenario.

2) I have to know ahead of time that I am looking to select a polygon
because I have to activate the control before doing the click on the
polygon.  If the control is not activated before I click on the polygon, my
onSelect function is not called.

These two issues prevent a user from simply being able to click on map items
(polygons and markers) and get some feedback regardless if they clicked on a
marker or polygon.

Does anyone know how to alleviate this problem?

Thanks - Peter Len