[OpenLayers-Users] Measure tool in 2.7 RC1

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 09:23:24 EDT 2008

I am definitely not an expert in projections, but my understanding of
the Mercator projection is that it is accurate for direction and
shape, but not for size.  The distortion increasing as you move away
from the equator.

There is actually some pretty good info at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_projection

If you want to do area calculations, you should likely look at using a
different data source that is in a different projection.  I don't know
about California, or any of your local governments, but here in
Minnesota, a couple of state agencies have free WMS services with
imagery data that are available in Universal Transverse Mercator.
There is still some distortion, but because UTM uses smaller zones,
the scale distortion is significantly less.

David.