[OpenLayers-Users] Is there a way to get the absolute bounding box of a feature in a layer?

cgp carina_palanca at forcorp.com
Wed Dec 2 18:36:27 EST 2009

Please see image attached.  http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4103130/feature.png

My goal is to zoom in to a feature when I click on a button.

My code would be essentially like this (assuming all required declarations
are made):

$("#zoomToFeatureButton").click(function(){
     var feature_id = $("#input_feat_id").val();
     var bounds =  getFeatureBounds(feature_id );       //get bounds of
feature
     zoomToFeature(bounds );
}

	function zoomToFeature(data) {
		var bounds = data.split("^"); //bounds passed in

		var min_x = bounds[0];
		var min_y = bounds[1];
		var max_x = bounds[2];
		var max_y = bounds[3];

		var feature_bounds = new OpenLayers.Bounds(min_x, min_y, max_x, max_y);

		map.zoomToExtent(feature_bounds,true);
	}

My problem is within getFeatureBounds(feature_id ). I can't seem to find
anything that would allow me to get the bounding box of a feature. If I can
get the min x, min y, max x and max y of a feature, will that let me create
a Bounds object and use that for zooming?

Thanks.