[OpenLayers-Users] Can we communicate with SOAP web services via OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Feb 3 09:01:17 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:23:16PM -0800, Lasith Chandrasekara wrote:
> <<
>
> When you say 'mapserver', do you mean "MapServer"? Wrapping that up in
> SOAP and using that from Javascript sems like a terrible way to go...
> >>

> Here what should be the most hard thing?
> Wrapping MapServer functionalities with SOAP or communicating with SOAP web
> services with JavaScripts?

The latter is what I'm talking about.

Mostly, I don't understanad *why* you would do such a thing. MapServer
acts as a perfectly capable, semi-RESTful standards based WMS server.
Wrapping it up in SOAP seems like moving in the *wrong* direction --
away from web architecture instead of towards it. If you were to say you
wanted to make MapServer more RESTful, or something like that, I'd
understnad it. Even if you said "I have an existing client that speaks a
certain dialect of SOAP", I'd understand (though I'd cringe).

But wrapping a perfectly good web API inside SOAP seems like the wrong
move to me. Stick with WMS and WFS! They work well! Really!

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta