[OpenLayers-Users] Can we communicate with SOAP web services via OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Feb 3 11:16:13 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 08:58:38AM -0600, Brad Eckrose wrote:
> I would like to see OpenLayers handle RPC bindings in some fashion.
> Not all GISes are MapServer and not all interaction with a GIS server
> should be enumerated in a javascript API.

I think I agree with this statement. This is the entire reason for
pushing towards the new Protocol work -- which, while designed with
reading/writing features in mind, could be applied to any aspects of a
protocol. If servers speak a specialized language, I think that
Protocols are the place to teach OpenLayers to speak that language.

That said, I do not see the point of wrapping up a perfectly good API
like WMS inside of SOAP, or any other RPC. Doing that is silly.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta