[OpenLayers-Users] Override maxExtent for one layer

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Wed Feb 4 14:26:03 EST 2009

Have you experimented with the displayOutsideMaxExtent property:
http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.7/doc/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Layer-js.html#OpenLayers.Layer.displayOutsideMaxExtent

I imagine you set the map's maxExtent to Europe's, and then each layer
gets the maxExtent that suits it, with displayOutsideMaxExtent set to false.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S