[OpenLayers-Users] Performance of own (vector) data in Open Layers

Lars Lingner ml at lingner.eu
Thu Feb 5 03:22:38 EST 2009

Kai Behncke schrieb:
> Dear users,
> I would like to know with which layer types you made best experiences if you want to load in own data as a layer.
> So far I checked out wms and wfs, but wfs for example took quite a long time
> (ok, no indexes are set so far in the database....) and one can really see: Google appears quite fast and after the little while the WFS with the own data appears (and it has just 500 entries).
>
> In which way in OpenLayers do you implement your own vector-data?

I'm not sure if I understand your problem or what you mean with own
vector-data?

I would say that the type of layer depends on the output type of your
server.
I was using OL with WMS and WFS layer. If there are many (== few
hundreds) vector features OL can get slow. But if you want to find the
bottleneck you should distinguish between processing time at server
side, transfer time and time OL actually needs to process the data.

Sorry, no solution, just my experience...

With how many features are you working and how long in seconds does it need?

lars