[OpenLayers-Users] Performance of own (vector) data in Open Layers

Kai Behncke Kai-Behncke at gmx.de
Thu Feb 5 05:48:46 EST 2009

Dear Lars,

thank you for answering.
With own data I just mean data that lie on my server, it would be nice to implement them "directly" for example as a shape, but I think this is not possible, so as far I can see WFS should be the easiest way (??).

Well, in the moment I have 500 Features via WFS, it takes sometimes more than 2 seconds, what is far to much I think. I will do some checks to find out the bottleneck.

Best regards, Kai

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:22:38 +0100
> Von: Lars Lingner <ml at lingner.eu>
> An: users at openlayers.org
> Betreff: Re: [OpenLayers-Users] Performance of own (vector) data in Open	Layers

> Kai Behncke schrieb:
> > Dear users,
> > I would like to know with which layer types you made best experiences if
> you want to load in own data as a layer.
> > So far I checked out wms and wfs, but wfs for example took quite a long
> time
> > (ok, no indexes are set so far in the database....) and one can really
> see: Google appears quite fast and after the little while the WFS with the
> own data appears (and it has just 500 entries).
> >
> > In which way in OpenLayers do you implement your own vector-data?
> >

> I'm not sure if I understand your problem or what you mean with own
> vector-data?
>
> I would say that the type of layer depends on the output type of your
> server.
> I was using OL with WMS and WFS layer. If there are many (== few
> hundreds) vector features OL can get slow. But if you want to find the
> bottleneck you should distinguish between processing time at server
> side, transfer time and time OL actually needs to process the data.
>
> Sorry, no solution, just my experience...
>
> With how many features are you working and how long in seconds does it
> need?
>

> lars

Jetzt 1 Monat kostenlos! GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a