[OpenLayers-Users] Performance of own (vector) data in Open Layers

Kai Behncke Kai-Behncke at gmx.de
Thu Feb 5 08:24:43 EST 2009

Dear Mika,

well "my server " is a normal root server in the Internet.
"My data" in that case are Vector-Point-Data, I have them in a PostGIS-Database or can have them as a "typical" shape-file.
I`m quite new to Open Layers and definetely quite impressed.

I wonder in general now which way might be the most performant way to show "own" geodata (in Combination with the google-api-layer,osm-api-ayer,virtual earth-api-layer) to the public in Open Layers.

But, well, I will test beside from that question also how to improve the speed of the WFS, I`m pretty sure there will be some possibilities (indizes and so on).

Best regards, Kai

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:02:11 +0200
> Von: Mika Lehtonen <mika at digikartta.net>
> An: Kai Behncke <Kai-Behncke at gmx.de>
> CC: users at openlayers.org
> Betreff: Re: [OpenLayers-Users] Performance of own (vector) data in	Open	Layers

> Hi Kai,
>
> you haven't been telling us why you want to load your data as an
> OL-layer, what's the format of your data and what is "my server".
> Rendering vector in browser is definetely slow, especially in IE. If you
> just want to publish it, or an image of it, WMS is probably the best
> option. But then you have to have a WMS-server (Mapserver, Geoserver
> etc.). Please, tell us more.
>
> - mika -
>
> Kai Behncke kirjoitti:
> > Dear Lars,
> >
> > thank you for answering.
> > With own data I just mean data that lie on my server, it would be nice
> to implement them "directly" for example as a shape, but I think this is not
> possible, so as far I can see WFS should be the easiest way (??).
> >
> > Well, in the moment I have 500 Features via WFS, it takes sometimes more
> than 2 seconds, what is far to much I think. I will do some checks to find
> out the bottleneck.
> >
> > Best regards, Kai
> >
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >
> >> Datum: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:22:38 +0100
> >> Von: Lars Lingner <ml at lingner.eu>
> >> An: users at openlayers.org
> >> Betreff: Re: [OpenLayers-Users] Performance of own (vector) data in

> if
> >>>
> >> you want to load in own data as a layer.

> long
> >>>
> >> time

> >> see: Google appears quite fast and after the little while the WFS with
> the
> >> own data appears (and it has just 500 entries).

> >> I'm not sure if I understand your problem or what you mean with own
> >> vector-data?
> >>
> >> I would say that the type of layer depends on the output type of your
> >> server.
> >> I was using OL with WMS and WFS layer. If there are many (== few
> >> hundreds) vector features OL can get slow. But if you want to find the
> >> bottleneck you should distinguish between processing time at server
> >> side, transfer time and time OL actually needs to process the data.
> >>
> >> Sorry, no solution, just my experience...
> >>
> >> With how many features are you working and how long in seconds does it
> >> need?
> >>

> >> lars

Jetzt 1 Monat kostenlos! GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a