[OpenLayers-Users] selecting a feature in a base layer

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Sun Feb 15 11:21:59 EST 2009

Hi,

You can only interact with vector features, not just plain images. The
layer you're referring to ( country boundaries ) is a WMS layer so it
returns an image only.

If the server that renders that image is also configured to return
geometry ( like a WFS server for example ) then you could have a vector
layer of country boundaries and interact with it. One major problem with
this that the polygon features returned would contain a lot of geometry
and take a lot of time to display. Browsing your map would be slow too.
A common practice is to have a WMS layer on top zoom levels and have
your vector features displayed on lower levels.

See the following example showing what I mean (zoom in/out the map) :
http://dev4.mapgears.com/bdga/bdgaWFS-T.html

If you have your own data to play with, I would suggest you to read the
following articles to create your own WFS server and play with your own
data : http://mapserver.org/ogc/wfs_server.html

Best of luck with your learning and welcome to the community,

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears