[OpenLayers-Users] selecting a feature in a base layer

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Feb 15 11:28:31 EST 2009

Most base layers are images. In you example mapserver is generating an
image from the vector data and sending the image to OL to be displayed.
In a vector layer you will be limited to about 100 vectors before you
overload the browser so it is probably not a suitable solution for your
task at hand.

I'm not sure where the point data is coming from, ie: client/server side
data, but you will probably want to set up a process on the server side
that snaps the point to the road network. If you are thinking about
doing something that is commonly done in GPSs where the current position
tracks road segments, you need to think about  a gravity function also.
The purpose of the gravity function is to cause the point to have a
propensity to stay on the current track instead of jumping to parallel
or near by segments as it move over the map. Think about following a
highway, but the actual track is offset to the right of the highway
segments. When you come to an underpass cross street, you do not want
your track to momentarily jump to the cross street then jump back to the
highway.

-Steve