[OpenLayers-Users] webvisualization of Transport data for humanitarian response

Konrad1 konrad.hentze at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 20 02:42:51 EST 2009

Hey guys, I am doing an internship at a humanitarian organisation and was
asked to do a online research for the following project / concept. So I
thought, the best way to get some input and ideas is to post a general
concept here and ask for hints. It is a research about the PRACTICABILITY of
the different applications. Are the points we want doable, or not ?

so there we go . . .

1) we have a very excessive database (oracle, but PostGreSQL soon) with
roads and other transport data.

2) This Data should be shared with Partners and interested people via a
webaplication. People here are thinking of a Google API first and then a
further development,  because theyhave already a small google map applet on
their page, where they put manually some points in. But if you will read
further, you will agree with me, that it would be more feasible to start
"the right way straigt".

3) The infrastructure dataset  (Polygon, Line, Point) has a standardized
ArcGIS Symbology which should be kept by any means. (different road classes,
Cities by size and so forth). So I thought about an SLD export from ArcGIS
or true symbol in Mapserver, what do you think ? This is VERY IMPORTANT

4) The Webapplication should be self updating. Which means if the database
is changed (a road status for instance), the web visualisation is changed
automatically.

5) We are working within the Emergeny response sector. After a Hurricane or
Earthquake, we have often no time to modify the whole databse. Therefore it
would be really feasible, if we could also upload  a shape  quickly (for
instance with point data over the roads. with a standardized symbol meaning
not passable )

6) Sometime later, and thats a crucial point, the user should be able to
click on entities and a info bubble should pop up (similar to these in
google Earth). Not only with metadata but also manually added info ( like
opening hours for airports or so ) and also links which refer to a specific
website with further documents. How could we realize that ?

7) There should be a print to kml and pdf function

So that's it, thanks for reading and taking you time.

So with all these points, I thought like: Hey, why google API in the first
place and not directly mapserver or Geoserver, use open layers to visualise,
finish !

What do you guys think ? Is that possible ? what applications should we use
(geoserver, mapserver or sth totally different ?)

8) What about using google data as a backgroundlayer within Open layer ? (we
would love to use OSM data later, but have to stick because of Policy
agreements to Google first. But OL would be a perfect way to change that
later on, or not ?

So many thanks for your help and input, it is really much appreciated.
Everything is still a little bit uncoordinated, but its more a FEASIBILTY
STUDY. So thats why the most important question, what do you think of
applications to use, to achieve all points ?

all the best guys, regards Konrad