[OpenLayers-Users] Request & ProxyHost Question

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Jan 21 06:48:58 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 02:29:29AM -0700, Tim Schaub wrote:
> Hey-
>
> Semantica wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am considering doing my getLegend requests via XMLHTTPRequest instead of
> > img.src and have run into the common problem of cross-site scripting errors.
> > Does someone have an example on how to work around this issue using a
> > proxy-host or something else? Out of interest, what does OL use to load the
> > map images from a WMS? Does it use the OpenLayers.ProxyHost?
> >

> The source for image tiles is set via the src attribute on Image
> objects.  That is, img.src = "foo.png".
>
> Unless you are relying on the data url scheme (not in IE < 8 ) [1], how
> do you plan on using the image data you get from your XMLHttpRequest?
> Referrer spoofing and url caching?

http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=79663&topic=11366#scenario1
is a perfectly reasonable way to fetch image data via XMLHttpRequest.
(This has come up in OpenLayers Dev discussions in the past:
http://openlayers.org/pipermail/dev/2007-November/001932.html)

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta