[OpenLayers-Users] MoveFeature Help

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Fri Jun 12 02:47:14 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Ben Madin<ben at ausvet.com.au> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are looking at using openlayers to display networks, and I guess
> that the Move.Feature capacity allows us to move features using the
> openlayers interface - nice
>
> However, I'm not sure if this means we can 'export' the new feature
> location back to the database (pg) to update the existing one... does
> this mean I need to learn about a WFS-T service? Or are there
> alternatives?

You do not need to learn a lot about WFS-T to write features back to
your database. You just need a transactional WFS (like GeoServer [1])
and look at [2] to see how to set it up in OpenLayers. On the
GeoServer side, you do not need to configure anything special to make
this work. Just add your pg database as datastore, and configure the
table with your locations as featuretype.

Regarding alternatives to WFS-T, you could have a look at [3].

Regards,
Andreas.

[1] http://geoserver.org/
[2] http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/wfs-protocol-transactions.html