[OpenLayers-Users] Open Layers for a Game

Marc Faulise mfaulise at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:33:03 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm creating a game that runs primarily in a web browser and I am thinking
about using Open Layers to handle the game map.  I have read through most of
the documentation and I have a general understanding of how the system
works.  I'm looking for instructions on getting started creating a custom
maps.  I'm also looking for any experienced advice that anyone is willing to
give.

This is my strategy so far.  I want to use static base map like
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/data/roads.json is used in
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/all-overlays.html.  This will manage the
Game World.  Then I will use a GeoDjango (http://geodjango.org/) to build
player specific layers which will dress the map with information the player
knows so as other player locations, bookmarks, quest or mission information,
areas of interest etc.

So, any ideas or advice?  Anyone know of an application that can build the
map data for me?

Thanks,
--Marc