[OpenLayers-Users] Call Mapfile layer with Openlayers when status ON or OFF

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Wed Sep 9 08:00:42 EDT 2009

Hi Paul,

You can copy the image url by right clicking on it and open it in a new
window. You'll see the request url constructed by OpenLayers and maybe
an error message from MapServer.

I noticed that you use the "map" parameter. WMS has no such parameter so
it should be part of your main url, like below. Also, if you look in the
OpenLayers/Layer/WMS.js code, you'll see that this object takes 4
parameters, the 3e being the server-side "parameters" and the 4th being
the OpenLayers object "options". min/maxZoomLevel are not parameters but
OL options.

layer1 = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
"OpenLayers WMS",

"http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/openlayers-2.5/data/uk2.map&",
{ layers: "uk"},

{ gutter: 15, minZoomLevel: 1, maxZoomLevel: 4 }
);

If you still get pink tiles, copy the link in a new window to see the error.

Regards,

Alexandre

Paul Curran wrote:

> Hi
>
> I can view my UK Layer via Mapserver with the following url:
> 'ms4w/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?mode=map&map=c:mapdirectory*&layer=uk'.* The
> *&layer=uk *is calling my layer.
>
> However I can’t find any documentation on how to call the layer when
> viewing my map within OpenLayers.
>
> I am currently trying to call the layer like this:
>
> var map, layer1, layer2;
>
> var options = { maxExtent: bounds, maxResolution: 600, numZoomLevels: 10};
>
> layer1 = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS("OpenLayers WMS",
>
> "http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?", { layers: "uk", map:
> '/ms4w/apps/openlayers-2.5/data/uk2.map',
>
> minZoomLevel: 1, maxZoomLevel: 4 },
>
> { gutter: 15 });
>
> layer2 = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS("OpenLayers WMS",
>
> "http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?", { layers: "250", map:
> '/ms4w/apps/openlayers-2.5/data/uk2.map',
>
> minZoomLevel: 5, maxZoomLevel: 10},
>
> { gutter: 15 });
>
> map.addLayer(uk, 250);
>
> map.zoomToExtent(bounds);
>
> map.setCenter(bounds);
>
> map.zoomToMaxExtent();
>
> However I am just seeing pink tiles within OpenLayers.
>
> Note: If my layers are set to default within my Mapfile all my layers
> are displayed.
>
> Thanks for any help in advance
>
> Paul

Alexandre Dubé