[OpenLayers-Users] Default tile image whilst loading layer

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Thu Sep 10 13:06:38 EDT 2009

Darren Karstens wrote:
> Hi,
> The layers of my map load quite slowly and so I need a way of informing my
> users that the map is still loading. I have had a look at the LoadingPanel
> addon which looks ok but I was wondering if there is a way of having a
> way to specify a default image for the tiles whilst they are loading?

You could define the css class .olTileImage with a background image.
This would, however, only work well for non-transparent layers,
otherwise you would still see the background image. You could redefine
the .olTileImage class programmatically in a loadend handler of the
layer though.

I think a more user friendly way to handle this is to make the layers
load faster, e.g. by grouping layers from the same service into one
OpenLayers.Layer instance (e.g. for WMS using multiple layer names in
the layers param), or by installing a tile caching engine like
GeoWebCache or TileCache on the server.

Regards,
Andreas.

--