[OpenLayers-Users] How to Improve speed in IE when dealing with a lot of elements? Clusters?

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Mon Sep 14 02:57:20 EDT 2009

On Tuesday, September 8, 2009, Philip Bruvoll <pbruvoll at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, we have built an application with OpenLayers, and it seems we have too many elements in
> the map for IE to handle properly (works ok in FF and Chrome).
> Amongst other tings, we need to mark about 300 locations (and update their position from time to time). They should be selected on mouse-over
> and trigger some functions on left and right click. Currently we are using a Vector-layer containing point-features.
> I've had a look at the cluster example, http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/strategy-cluster.html.
> Is this the best way to go, or are there any other ways of improving IE performance?
> Any suggestions for gaining performance are welcome :)

Hi. The cluster strategy will yield better display performace (fewer
VML objects). However it will not speed up feature parsing - same
number of objects in the response from the server. To me the cluster
strategy helps more on the visualization side than on the performance
side, but this is just a guess as I've never done any experiment
actually showing it.

Cheers,

--
Eric Lemoine