[OpenLayers-Users] .MapServer v. .WMS

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:22:58 EDT 2009

Two questions --

1. Given that I can query OpenLayers.Layer.WMS() just as easily as
OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer(), is one preferred over the other? I feel
I am getting a better response from OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer() over
OpenLayers.Layer.WMS()... am I hallucinating, or should I do some
measured testing?

2. My data are in meters, projection epsg:3071, and my mapfile reflect
that. My wms_srs incantation includes "epsg:4326 epsg:3071
epsg:900913". I have a Google Maps baselayer. When I query the data
via OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(), the layers align perfectly. However, when
I query the same data via OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer(), my layers are
not aligned with Google Maps. I am assuming that is because wms is
getting the hint to use 900913, while MapServer is not getting any
such hint. I have "reproject: true" in my layer

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org