[OpenLayers-Users] two different versions of docs

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 09:07:52 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Christopher Schmidt
<crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:32:53PM -0500, P Kishor wrote:
>> http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/doc/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Control/WMSGetFeatureInfo-js.html
>> reachable via the front-door
>>
>>  versus
>>
>> http://dev.openlayers.org/docs/files/OpenLayers/Control/WMSGetFeatureInfo-js.html
>>
>> The former offers a fraction of the api info as compared to the
>> latter. Any reason for the discrepancy?
>
> Have you read http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Documentation ?

Actually, I had read that page. However, my natural inclination was to
go with the docs linked from the front door. But, now that you point
that page out, I compare the 4 linked documentation entry points below

Automatically generated (recommended)
-------------------------------------
[1a] http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/doc/apidocs/files/OpenLayers-js.html
*
[1b] http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers-js.html

Full developer/internal library documentation (not recommended to depend upon)
[2a] http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/doc/devdocs/files/OpenLayers-js.html
[2b] http://dev.openlayers.org/docs/files/OpenLayers-js.html *

In my original post, I was comparing 1a to 2b (starred above). Let's
look at the docs of a single doohickey, the WMSGetFeatureInfo (a bunch
of doc comparisons below, but then, my commentary continues) --

[1a]
----
Summary
OpenLayers.Control.WMSGetFeatureInfo
The WMSGetFeatureInfo control uses a WMS query to get information
about a point on the map.
Properties

hover
{Boolean} Send GetFeatureInfo requests when mouse stops moving.
maxFeatures
{Integer} Maximum number of features to return from a WMS query.
handlerOptions
{Object} Additional options for the handlers used by this control, e.g.
Constants

EVENT_TYPES

Constructor

<OpenLayers.Control.WMSGetFeatureInfo>

[1b]
----
Summary
OpenLayers. Control. WMSGetFeatureInfo
The WMSGetFeatureInfo control uses a WMS query to get information
about a point on the map.
Properties

hover
{Boolean} Send GetFeatureInfo requests when mouse stops moving.
maxFeatures
{Integer} Maximum number of features to return from a WMS query.
handlerOptions
{Object} Additional options for the handlers used by this control, e.g.
Constants

EVENT_TYPES

Constructor

<OpenLayers. Control. WMSGetFeatureInfo>

[2a]
----
Summary
OpenLayers.Control.WMSGetFeatureInfo
The WMSGetFeatureInfo control uses a WMS query to get information
about a point on the map.
Properties

hover
{Boolean} Send GetFeatureInfo requests when mouse stops moving.
maxFeatures
{Integer} Maximum number of features to return from a WMS query.
layers
{Array(OpenLayers.Layer.WMS)} The layers to query for feature info.
queryVisible
{Boolean} If true, filter out hidden layers when searching the map for
layers to query.
url
{String} The URL of the WMS service to use.
layerUrls
{Array(String)} Optional list of urls for layers that should be queried.
infoFormat
{String} The mimetype to request from the server
vendorParams
{Object} Additional parameters that will be added to the request, for
WMS implementations that support them.
format
{OpenLayers.Format} A format for parsing GetFeatureInfo responses.
formatOptions
{Object} Optional properties to set on the format (if one is not
provided in the format property.
handlerOptions
{Object} Additional options for the handlers used by this control, e.g.
handler
{Object} Reference to the OpenLayers.Handler for this control
hoverRequest
{OpenLayers.Request} contains the currently running hover request (if any).
Constants

EVENT_TYPES

Constructor

<OpenLayers.Control.WMSGetFeatureInfo>

Functions

activate
Activates the control.
deactivate
Deactivates the control.
getInfoForClick
Called on click
getInfoForHover
Pause callback for the hover handler
cancelHover
Cancel callback for the hover handler
findLayers
Internal method to get the layers, independent of whether we are
inspecting the map or using a client-provided array
urlMatches
Test to see if the provided url matches either the control url or one
of the layerUrls.
request
Sends a GetFeatureInfo request to the WMS
handleResponse
Handler for the GetFeatureInfo response.
setMap
Set the map property for the control.

[2b]
----
Summary
[...]

Both recommended set of doc links give me only the following info for
constructing a WMSGetFeatureInfo object --

hover:
maxFeatures:
handlerOptions:

and the only option described for handlerOptions is

{
    "click": {delay: 100},
    "hover": {delay: 300}
}

My constructor actually, the one that works for me, looks like

url:
maxFeatures:
title:
queryVisible:
layers:
eventListeners:

The only place where the above info is available to me is either the
actual source file for WMSGetFeatureInfo, or [2a] or [2b].

Once again, I ask, is there some better way, not obvious to me, I
could have approached this so as to have an easier time discovering
what I could or could not do to construct a proper constructor?

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org