[OpenLayers-Users] Recommendation for large number of points?

MattL mlernout at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:48:26 EDT 2009

I'm working with a large site that contains somewhere in the area of 18,000
points of interest. I have tried two setup scenarios - the first using a WFS
Layer and Vectors, and the second using a GML Layer (text input) with
Markers.

Both setups resulted in giving browsers (most noticeably IE6) a huge
workout, causing full CPU load and wait times to process the points. I have
lessened the rendering load by restricting the maxResolution to more
manageable zoom levels, but this can be hit or miss where some areas have
more clusters of data points.

What options do I have for managing this set of data? What are normal
recommendations when it comes to plotting large sets of data with OL?