[OpenLayers-Users] line modify crashes safari

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Jan 7 11:21:57 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:59:18PM +0100, Andreas Hocevar wrote:
> Can anyone affected by this issue please test the patch attached to
>
> http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/2402
>
> I made it so the workaround only affects browsers with a userAgent
> string containing "applewebkit/5". I would ask affected users to report
> their user agent string. To do so, please enter
>
> javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)
>
> in your browser's address bar, and report the result.

When opening snapping.html, I see no geometries anymore.

When drawing a geometry, I see:

TypeError: Result of expression 'target.parentNode' [null] is not an object.

many times as I drag along a snapping edge.

Additionally, in the webkit ticket, you mentioned

  http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/examples/graphic-name.html

I think you meant:

  http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/examples/snapping.html

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_1; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.3 Safari/531.9

is the version string.

-- Chris

> I also opened a webkit bug for the issue, see the ticket mentioned above
> for a link.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas.
>
> On 2010-01-07 03:12, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:43:37PM +0000, Wendell Turner wrote:
> >
> >> Modifying a drawn feature on this example crashes the Safari
> >> browser on both Macs and Windows.
> >>
> >>   http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/examples/snapping.html
> >>
> >> Does OpenLayers intend to support Safari for this?
> >>
> > There isn't a deliberate decision not to support Safari here.
> >
> > I feel like I played with this example in Safari 3 and it worked; however,
> > I'm now running Safari4, and I can confirm that it crashes.
> >
> > The fact that it crashes the browser is obviously a browser bug,
> > and should probably be reported as such. However, that doesn't mean
> > that we shouldn't try to improve the behavior in OpenLayers; patches welcome.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> --
> Andreas Hocevar
> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/