[OpenLayers-Users] Refresh marker without refreshing whole map

jbloc1878 at googlemail.com jbloc1878 at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 25 17:05:16 EST 2010

Hi,   i am currently using OS Open Space which i believe is similer to
Open Layers.

I am currenty displaying a map with a marker. However my marker
coordinates can change whilst the user is viewing the map so i would
like the Marker code to refresh and re-plot the marker every 10
seconds however i cannot work out how to do this. I have tried adding
aHTML refresh command <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="10"> causes
the whole map to refresh.

I tried creating a refresh function that calls the marker function i
created that plots the marker as shown below. however the marker looks
like it refreshes as the marker flashes every 10 seconds however it
does not replot if the coordinates if they have changed. Does anyone
have any suggestions for refreshing a function within javascript?

Thanks for any help in advance my code is below

<script type="text/javascript">

var osMap;

function init()
{
osMap = new OpenSpace.Map('map');

osMap.setCenter(new OpenSpace.MapPoint(439300, 114760), 8);

}

function refresh()

{

setInterval('marker()', 10000);

}

function marker()
{

var markers = new OpenLayers.Layer.Markers("Markers");
osMap.addLayer(markers);

// Default icon
var pos = new OpenSpace.MapPoint(438760, 114760);
var marker = new OpenLayers.Marker(pos);

markers.addMarker(marker);
}

</script>
</head>