[OpenLayers-Users] onImageLoadError not triggered when a tile is missing

Etides etienne.desgagne at roche.ca
Fri Jan 29 14:29:41 EST 2010

Hi,

    I have overwrited the OpenLayers.Util.onImageLoadError function to
switch the src of the tiles that does not exist in the Tilecache directory
of a layer. When the tiles has not been created in the cache, we switch the
src of the image to a "missing.png" tile that contain nothing... this way we
can create in the cache only the tiles that contain features and save a lot
of disk space...

This is working well with Internet Explorer but with Google Chrome we are
facing a problem... Some tiles that do not exist in the Tilecache cache
directory are not replaced with our “missing.png” tile and a red cross is
showed instead. After investigation it seems that the problem come from the
OpenLayers.Util.onImageLoadError function that are not triggered when Open
Layers is trying to show the tiles that do not exist… Worst, this problem is
intermittent because sometime, some of the missing tiles are correctly
replaced with our "missing.png".

Someone have an idea why OpenLayers.Util.onImageLoadError is not triggered
with Google Chrome? Anyone have experienced the same problem?

Thanks a lot.

Etienne