[OpenLayers-Users] slimming OL

Shawn Oatley shawn at niagarafalls.ca
Tue Mar 9 09:37:46 EST 2010

You will need to determine what functionality you need from OpenLayers
first.  By using custom builds (build.py) I've been able to shrink my OL
file down to 336 KB (without compression).  I am sure others have gotten
it smaller, but this is the size that I need in order to do what I want
with OL.
This page helped me:
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Profiles or this
http://docs.openlayers.org/library/deploying.html#building-the-single-file-build
 and I am sure there are more.  The OpenLayerer looks pretty simple once
you've figured out what functionality you'll need.

Shawn

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Alexandre Dube <adube at mapgears.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You could use OpenLayerer to do so :
>
> http://openlayerer.appspot.com/

Wow! This is very cool (and should be advertised more prominently). Of
course, now I have another problem -- way too many choices, and not
enough guidance to choose from them.

How about something simpler? "Make my OL similar in size and
functionality to the current version of Gmaps" kinda choice.

> Regards,
>
> Alexandre
>

> P Kishor wrote:
>>
>> From Firebug's 'Net' panel, my mixed, OpenLayers, Google Maps test
page
>> shows --
>>
>> Google js
>> ----------
>> maps: 4.3 KB
>> main.js: 67.7 KB
>> vp: 661 B
>> %7Bmod_drag,mod_ctrapi%7D.js: 11.2 KB
>> vp: 660 B
>> =============
>> That totals 85 KB
>>
>> OpenLayers.js: 695.1 KB
>>
>> Why is OL almost 10 times the size of Gmaps scripts?
>>
>> If I want the functionality somewhat equivalent to what Gmaps
>> provides, can I re-build OL with fewer parts so it slims down?
>>
>> Right now OL is the largest js component of my work, more than
Gmaps

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org