[OpenLayers-Users] slimming OL

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Mar 9 10:04:44 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 08:26:36AM -0600, P Kishor wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Alexandre Dube <adube at mapgears.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > You could use OpenLayerer to do so :
> >
> > http://openlayerer.appspot.com/
>
> Wow! This is very cool (and should be advertised more prominently). Of
> course, now I have another problem -- way too many choices, and not
> enough guidance to choose from them.

  http://docs.openlayers.org/library/deploying.html#custom-build-profiles

"Once you have included these files, you should add more files to the
‘[include]’ section of the file. The files listed here should be the list of
files containing any class you use in your application. You can typically find
these classes by looking through your code for any cases where ‘new
OpenLayers.ClassName()’ is used."

> How about something simpler? "Make my OL similar in size and
> functionality to the current version of Gmaps" kinda choice.

The documentation tells you how to cater your build to your application.
Anyone experienced enough to write an OpenLayers app should be able to
build their own customized build profile by reading the documentation; if
you feel that is not the case, a change in the wording or a suggestion as
to how that documentation could be improved is welcome.

-- Chris

> > Regards,
> >
> > Alexandre
> >

> > P Kishor wrote:
> >>
> >> From Firebug's 'Net' panel, my mixed, OpenLayers, Google Maps test page
> >> shows --
> >>
> >> Google js
> >> ----------
> >> maps: 4.3 KB
> >> main.js: 67.7 KB
> >> vp: 661 B
> >> %7Bmod_drag,mod_ctrapi%7D.js: 11.2 KB
> >> vp: 660 B
> >> =============
> >> That totals 85 KB
> >>
> >> OpenLayers.js: 695.1 KB
> >>
> >> Why is OL almost 10 times the size of Gmaps scripts?
> >>
> >> If I want the functionality somewhat equivalent to what Gmaps
> >> provides, can I re-build OL with fewer parts so it slims down?
> >>
> >> Right now OL is the largest js component of my work, more than Gmaps
> >> and jQuery combined. Partly, it seems that there are many frameworks
> >> layered on top of each other. OL depends on Prototype and other
> >> frameworks, so even if I were using Prototype (I am not, but this is
> >> just for illustration), I would still get Prototype within OL,
> >> duplicating stuff.
> >>
> >> This is one of the reasons I don't even want to look at GeoExt, and
> >> MapFish and other frameworks made from OpenLayers, instead trying to
> >> accomplish my goals with just OL. From MapFish's notes, it is
> >> "composed of the ExtJS, OpenLayers, GeoExt JavaScript toolkits." So
> >> MapFish uses ExtJS and GeoExt and OL, and GeoExt uses ExtJS and OL,
> >> and OL uses Prototype and Rico, and Rico uses Prototype. This is very
> >> circular and confusing.
> >>

> > --
> > Alexandre Dubé
> > Mapgears