[OpenLayers-Users] Vector layer: overlapping data

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Mar 25 12:45:39 EDT 2010

Daniel Degasperi wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Vector Layer with Linestrings, which can also overlapp and I've
> applied a SelectFeature Control (with hover effect) to this Vector Layer.
> My question is, is it possible to bring the current selected feature on
> top of all features?

See http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1066 for the change that made this
the expected behavior (not to bring selected features to the top).

We could provide an option to change this behavior.

Alternatively, you should be able to give your vector layer a style map
with different styles for the "default" and "select" rendering intents.
  Using a graphicZIndex property in your symbolizers, you could have
selected features rendered above unselected features.

The graphicZIndex property is poorly named.  It looks to me like it
should apply to any symbolizer - not just a symbolizer that uses an
external graphic.  I'll confirm this and open a ticket about adding
support for a more appropriately named "zIndex" property on symbolizers.

Relevant examples:

Using graphicZIndex
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/marker-shadow.html

Using a StyleMap with multiple render intents
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/stylemap.html

Tim

--
Tim Schaub