[OpenLayers-Users] Performance of different layers

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Mar 25 13:24:18 EDT 2010

Rahn Hanno (rahn) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This helps, Thank you Bryan. But can you give me some details about
> the performance? Do you think it will be better to use an WMS Service
> with UMN or Geoserver or so, or is it better to show kml, gml,
> geojson. If I use this I don't need a Mapserver , right? But do you
> think it will be much faster to "build and show" the map in the
> browser with this version?

I wouldn't guess the OpenLayers list would be the best place to learn
about WMS performance, but you can try Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=wms+shootout

OpenLayers is typically a tile based map client - requesting many small
tiles and stitching them together.  The WMS specification was not really
put together with this in mind, and WMS servers have to do a whole lot
of work to support a greedy tile based client.

Your best bet is to pre-render your data, cache the results, and serve
those cached tiles.  This will always be faster than asking your WMS to
dynamically render tiles with every request.

Where you have dynamic data that doesn't work well with caching, use
larger tile sizes (or singleTile: true) and set buffer to 0 on your WMS
layer.

Tim

> Thank you Greetings Hanno Rahn

> (FH) Geoinformatik ZHAW Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte
> Wissenschaften Umwelt und Natürliche Ressourcen Fachstelle
> Geoinformatik Grüental, Postfach CH-8820 Wädenswil Tel +41 (0)58 934
> 5592 Fax +41 (0)58 934 5580 hanno.rahn at zhaw.ch
> www.iunr.zhaw.ch/geoinformatik

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org