[OpenLayers-Users] Proxy problem in GetFeatureInfo -nosolution??

sunny74 sb.ray at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 15:50:16 EDT 2010

Hi,

Thanks for your latest reply.
I am showing the map with openlayers on a aspx page.

You are right when you say that I am running two web servers.Indeed I am.
I have a page called Default.aspx in which I am showing map using mapserver
and OL2.8
My scenario is like this:

ASP.NET DEvelopment server(cassini)  -------------> Default.aspx
---OL----->Apache(port 9000) -------->mapserv.exe ------->provide map &
data.

or

IIS 5.1/6.0  -------------> Default.aspx ---OL----->Apache(port 9000)
-------->mapserv.exe ------->provide map & data.

.NET programmers like me use Visual Studio to write solutions - pages are
either html or aspx.We can run the pages from VS itself using Cassini as the
web server.Also we can use IIS to run the pages by typing the address in the
address bar.

If using cassini then it has a url like this while running the page:
http://localhost:yyyyy/GetInfo/Default.aspx where yyyyy is the random port
number generated,
while if it  is IIS then the url is,
http://localhost/GetInfo

So as you can see it is either cassini or IIS loading Default.aspx which is
calling apache on port 9000 using OpenLayers and apache forwarding request
to mapserv.exe and also getting response from it and sending to
Default.aspx.

Now you are saying that url used by Openlayers to call WMs should be the
same as the url loading tha page.

If my WMS comes from the domain

http://172.16.0.144:9000/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe...

then my Openlayers page should come from
http://172.16.0.144:9000/Default.aspx

But for that I need to know
1) where the proxy is located?
2) How the proxy gets the url of Openlayers page i.e Default.aspx

If I get to know these I can suitable modify the url so that both appear to
be in the same domain.

The other alternative is to have IIS directly call mapserver instead of
using apache to make that call.
If both IIS and apache are used then they can't use the same port so the
domain becomes different.

Pls tell me ur opinion on this.