[OpenLayers-Users] Basic marker questions

Mike Purvis mike at uwmike.com
Mon May 3 17:28:23 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm working on an application that allows the user to add lines and vertices
to the map, to construct routes. In Google Maps, this would simply be
markers and polylines.

Using the OpenLayers abstraction layer, should I be using OpenLayers.Marker?
What about the line segments? If they're on a separate layer, will they
still be able to receive clicks?

I read elsewhere that the use of Marker and Layer.Markers is effectively
deprecated in the OpenLayers world, in favour of Layer.Vector. Is this true?
Is there one of the basic examples that demonstrates dynamically adding and
removing different objects from a Layer.Vector? Ideally, something like:
click the map to create a marker, click the marker to delete it.

Please note that I do not wish to use the standard editing toolbar that
comes with OpenLayers—my application is fairly specialized, so I will need
to build up this functionality from scratch.

Thanks!

Mike