[OpenLayers-Users] Basic marker questions

Marjie Anderson marjiea1 at gmail.com
Wed May 5 00:19:36 EDT 2010

I would love to see an example of how you got this working in code.

I  am having problems with hand parsing a kml file to pull out the zoom box
points and use them for bounds, pull out the marker point and use that for
the lonlat, and then letting the automatic kml loader load the linestrings
in the kml file that show all the points hooked together of where my vehicle
has been.  I can get it working without the spherical mercator (and the
markers not in the right place on the commercial layers), but once I follow
the directions for mercator using the forwardMercator calls:

marker = new
OpenLayers.Marker(OpenLayers.Layer.SphericalMercator.forwardMercator(lon,
lat));

I get neither markers nor linestrings.

I am unable to request help here for this issue as I cannot get the
non-mercator version to run on my current server space, only on my
development laptop.

Marjie

"Okay, yes, I have now got this working, but it's been extremely painful. I
can share my code for others if it would be helpful to do so, but I feel
certain that there must be a better way. It feels extremely hacky to be
constantly loading lat/lon pairs into Point objects, just to "transform"
them to the map coordinates. (Which, of course, the map methods still refer
to and interact with as LonLat objects, even the contents are clearly not
latitudes and longitudes, but another coordinate system altogether.)

Seems like if I pass it LonLat objects, it just know to do the right thing,
as Google does."