[OpenLayers-Users] Marker + Popups = Flicker

noosy vanessa.towers at dsto.defence.gov.au
Fri May 7 00:36:22 EDT 2010

I'm using the GWT wrapper for Openlayers and I've pretty much got the same
code as seen in this old tutorial
http://geoserver.org/display/GEOSDOC/Google+Web+Toolkit+(GWT),+OpenLayers+and+GeoServer.
I want a popup to come up when I rollover a marker with the mouse. This
works but I get the worst flickering when the popup is visible and the mouse
rolls over the popup (which is just over the marker). I've tried offsetting
the popup but it's hard to judge where the thing is going to pop up
depending on where I'm looking at the map. I've changed to using a
FramedCloud cause it's a skinnier popup at the base (less of a problem) but
this isn't helping much. It just seems so random, sometimes it is perfect
sometimes it is absolutely horrible. My zoom level seems to affect it and
obviously whatever algorithm is the the background to determine which
quadrant the popup appears in.

I've tried overriding, registering/unregistering mouseover/mouseout events
but to no avail. Are there any straightforward solutions to this problem? It
is really bugging me.