[OpenLayers-Users] ModifyFeature with SelectFeature hover/highlight type capability

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Mon May 10 15:09:27 EDT 2010

Hi Charles,

You could achieve what you want be creating a SelectFeature control with
highlightOnly:true for "highlight and display info" and a standard
ModifyFeature control for the second one. By registering
"featurehighlighted" on the first control should allow the display of
the hovered feature info.

The following example should be of great help :
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/highlight-feature.html

You could toggle on/off the highlight control when editing, but that's
up you.

Regards,

Alexandre

Charles Galpin wrote:
> Hi all. I'm new to the list (as well as openlayers) and have some hopefully rudimentary questions.
>
> First, can someone explain or point to an example that shows how to extend ModifyFeature to visually select features as you mouse over them like you can with the SelectFeature? What I want to do is visually highlight them as I mouse over them (as well as display some detail about them in a layer) but not actually select them (ie put into edit mode) until I click on them.  Once they are truly selected I want them to stay highlighted while being edited/moved (I am working with points).
>
> I have tried setting hover = true for the ModifyFeature, as well as create my own SelectFeature and set the modifyFeature.selectControl to it but when I do that, the ModifyFeature behaves like a SelectFeature only.
>
> thanks,
> charles

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears