[OpenLayers-Users] doing a search with a buffer

Roald de Wit list at rdewit.net
Fri May 14 05:07:43 EDT 2010

Hi,

What you want is more difficult than I realised. If you can retrieve the
geometry of the feature you are interested in, you could use that in
your filter (instead of the point). Have a look at the getfeature-wfs
example on how to do that [1]. If you cannot retrieve your geometry it's
going to be harder.

I don't know if you can tell your WFS server to use the geometry of a
certain feature for your spatial operator (like: give me all features
from layer X within a buffer around this feature from layer Y (or are
all features in the same layer?)). Maybe somebody else can shed a light
on whether this is possible? I'm sure you could do it with a WPS server,
but that adds extra complexity.

Regards, Roald

[1] http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/getfeature-wfs.html