[OpenLayers-Users] Ie8 Popup Opacity issues

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Mon May 17 06:06:09 EDT 2010

Hello list,

we're having some trouble here with Ie8 and popup opacity issues. We use
our own alpha-transparent background-image for popups. Works fine,
except in Ie8, where the background is replaced by a grey color. Using
the debugger, the filter property set by the
OpenLayers.Popup.setOpacity() method seems to be the cause for this.
Disabling it in the debugger makes the transparency work with the png.

I am not 100% sure what is causing this behavior, but with Ie8, a new
method for setting opacity was introduced, see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms530752.aspx
which is missing in the setOpacity() method. And there are some more
issues with Ie and opacity, see the links mentioned below [1,2,3]

I don't know the reason for setting opacity (and others, border,
bg-color) by javascript, but would'nt it be better to set them by css
altogether?

Frank

Some more links
[1]