[OpenLayers-Users] Multiple layers+retrieval of values from DB

Vikash Talanki vikashtalanki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 07:59:31 EDT 2011

Hi frnds.......

         I have some big & complicated task this time. I have 2 html
pages(page1 & page2). Page1 is for viewing tha map. And page2 is for
inputing the values(lat-lon) in a form. Any user can input values and any
user can view the map(for now there are no security issues). page1 is
provided with a text box and a button. text box(mostly a drop down menu) is
used to select the layer and button is clicked to view the map. page2 is a
simple form with boxes to give layer name,lat-lon values.

Many people suggested me to use Geoserver,postgis,postgreSQL...  but I dont
understand how they can be used for my project

Task to be done:
1.whenever any user(lets say user2) inputs layer name and lan-lot values in
page2, the values should be stored in a table(with table name as layer
name).This storage can be done using PHP into postgreSQL, Is there a better
way to do this???

2. Now any user(say user1) can select the layer name and click on button to
view the map, the markers of that layer(of values present in corresponding
table) should be projected on the map. I have to give option to the user to
view more than one layer at a time(say with different colored markers for
layers).Do I need Geoserver for this????

PostGIS is used to get the values in OL accepted format(JSON) from
postgreSQL, but why do I need geoserver???? In other words,how does
geoserver & postgis help me to fulfill this task???? your explanation in
words helps me a lot instead of any links. Any examples(probably with some
code) will also help me.

Expecting reply in view of my task, thankyou