[OpenLayers-Users] GisCloud showing tons of vectors features on Web Browser

Greg Allensworth gregor at greeninfo.org
Thu Sep 22 18:13:48 EDT 2011

On 9/22/2011 2:51 PM, Phil Scadden wrote:
> With this system, you still have download the coordinates of all
> the objects you are drawing. This could be one big file.

Definitely true, especially if vector style information is included.
Still, it compares favorably to downloading the same volume of
coordinates as a formatted document, then parsing it, then creating
class instances from them.

> What if you used wms type approach where the thousand of vectors
> are drawn on the server so image sent to user, PLUS server
> sends a hit map expressed only in pixel coordinates.

That opens up some neat possibilities, especially when the visualization
and vector aren't the same stuff. An aerial photo with mouse-sensitive
streets and buildings, would be very impactful and a lot of fun.

My (minimal and incomplete) understanding of TileStream and Wax, is that
this is what it does: an image tile and also a supplemental JSON tile.
And evidently Wax provides some javaScript, which allows OpenLayers to
make use of this stuff.

I am hoping to get caught up on my projects and get to play with that,
maybe next week if things simmer down. If I do get to it, I promise to
report back to the OpenLayers list.

--
Greg Allensworth, Web GIS Developer
BS  A+  Network+  Security+  Linux+  Server+  ZCE-PHP
PH: 415-979-0343 x302  FX: 415-979-0371    email: gregor at greeninfo.org
Web: www.GreenInfo.org     www.MapsPortal.org

Subscribe to MapLines, our e-newsletter, at www.GreenInfo.org