[OpenLayers-Users] Re: GisCloud showing tons of vectors features on Web Browser

dravnic dino at giscloud.com
Fri Sep 23 05:36:33 EDT 2011

Hey guys,

I am Dino Ravnic from GIS Cloud, author of the above mentioned map engine.

It's not a big secret how we did it so I would be happy to share that with
you. Greg was close around the trick.

the key is in two things:

1. removing from a tile all vectors which are to small to be visible i.e.
their area when calculated into pixels is less than 1px. so we drop such a
vector and instead of it place a pixel hence there is "pixels" property in
our json tile

2. vectors which will be actually visible are being generalized and then
written into a tile with their coordinates in pixels

On the client part we render on canvas those static pixels and visible
vectors. On top of vectors we implemented mouse event handling to achieve
hovering i.e. interactivity.

and that's it.

our backend map engine does all the heavy-lifting because we don't use any
precaching and all tiles are being generated on the-fly. it's very important
to us to have a map that can be quickly refreshed.

our engine is closed, but we are strongly considering to open it up. as we
are a company with it being a core of our business, it's a process to get
there from a strategic point of view to preparing the code for a such move.

what can you expect from us soon is support and client plug-in for
OpenLayers, like we currently have for Leaflet.

Best,

Dino

--
Dino Ravnic