[OpenLayers-Users] Is any convertion required between GPS coordinate and Spherical Mercator projection?

Yasemin YILMAZ yasemin.yilmaz.embedded at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 02:27:20 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I am new to OpenLayers and I'm confused about GPS coordinate and Spherical
Mercator projection.

OpenLayers says "The projection used by Google Maps is the spherical
mercator." at link
http://docs.openlayers.org/library/spherical_mercator.html. The
documentation of Google Maps says "Google Maps uses the formulæ for the
spherical Mercator, but the coordinates of features on Google Maps are the
GPS coordinates based on the WGS 84 datum.".

I have GPS coordinate data in pure decimal GPS coordinate format for
example 25.124167 in order to place the feature on the map. And I will use
Google Maps layer with OpenLayers. Is any convertion required? Does
OpenLayers implement in the background?

Can you please explain this subjects?

Thanks a lot for your helps and clarifications,
Yasemin