[OpenLayers-Users] Highlighting Feature on KML Layer

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Tue Oct 9 16:04:53 PDT 2012

> Thank you very much for your reply.  Is there another format for
> vector layers that you would recommend?  I do have the option to
> possibly create the data in another format.

Well first question is whether you need vector layer at all. I strongly
recommend WMS for display, WFS for query, using an OGC server (eg
geoserver, mapserver). The data can live shapefile, postgis, oracle etc
(whatever is supported by the server). Much of this would depend
where/how the vector data is authored. If you can use base data, then
you should rather than copying to another format/location.

If you look back on archives for this list, you will see discussion of
WMS/WFS combo. http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/getfeature-wfs.html
is an example.

If you insist on ascii vector format, then I would look at GML.