[OpenLayers-Users] Avoiding label collisions

Nathan Wiebe nwiebe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 12:50:35 PDT 2012

Hi, I've got a project using OpenLayers that shows units driving around to
various locations on a map.  These I'm using 5 different
OpenLayers.Layer.Vector layers from GeoRSS feeds to display different kinds
of units.  The base layer of the map is static prerendered tiles.    I'm
having trouble with the labels for the units and location overlapping
making things unreadable.  I've tried placing for one type of unit above
the marker, and placing labels for other types of units below the marker,
but the labels end up overlapping anyway as the units move around.

Is there any kind of label collision avoidance I can convince OL to do for
me?  Any other easy solutions?

--
Nathan Wiebe