[OpenLayers-Users] Editing with openlayers: Proof needed that it ´s stable

Robert Buckley robertdbuckley at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 10:34:07 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am looking for some good client templates to use as examples for the implementation of openlayers in order to edit vector data and saving it to PostgreSQL.
The reason is that I am trying to get my employer to take a big step and cancel the current contracts with a well known GIS software company which
charge extremely high licence fees for GIS Software and change this to an 100% opensource stack. Desktop = QGIS/SAGA , WebGIS = Linux,Tomcat,geoserver,Openlayers, PostgreSQL/PostGIS

I am able to state my case for geoserver/mapserver , PostgreSQL/PostGIS but I am having difficulty providing examples of a stable webgis editing environment.

I would like to present a couple of demonstrations of web client which has successfully implemented  a user friendly Editing environment which uses normal GIS functions e.g. snapping. I would also like to demonstrate how this is coded in javascript.

The best that I know of are the following.

http://ole.geops.de/ ...which doesn´t work.

or

http://suite.opengeo.org/geoexplorer/composer/ ...which is way too complicated for a code example

I am hoping to convince them that a simple wfs editing environment is easy is program in javascript.
Although I can safely say that openlayers is great for the display and query of data, using the save strategy and implementing snapping is not yet very user friendly.

If anyone could maybe proove me wrong, I would be most grateful.

Robert