[OpenLayers-Users] Editing with openlayers: Proof needed that it ´s stable

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Oct 23 10:57:03 PDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 1:34 PM, Robert Buckley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for some good client templates to use as examples for the
> implementation of openlayers in order to edit vector data and saving it
> to PostgreSQL.
> The reason is that I am trying to get my employer to take a big step and
> cancel the current contracts with a well known GIS software company which
> charge extremely highlicence fees for GIS Software and change this to an
> 100% opensource stack. Desktop = QGIS/SAGA , WebGIS =
> Linux,Tomcat,geoserver,Openlayers, PostgreSQL/PostGIS
>
> I am able to state my case for geoserver/mapserver , PostgreSQL/PostGIS
> but I am having difficulty providing examples of a stable webgis editing
> environment.
>
> I would like to present a couple of demonstrations of web client which
> has successfully implemented  a user friendly Editing environment which
> uses normal GIS functions e.g. snapping. I would also like to
> demonstrate how this is coded in javascript.
>
> The best that I know of are the following.
>
> http://ole.geops.de/ ...which doesn´t work.

I just looked at this one and it seems to work fine. The only thing I
see that is missing is a [Save] button. which should be easy to add.

1. add a polygon
2. add a line with 3-4 points
3. turn one snapping for the Editor layer
4. select [Modify Geometries]
5. select the polygon
6. move one of the polygon points to the line

It will snap to the vertices are track along the line. This is a very
nice demo and has a nice layout. I have not seen it before and it only
took me 5 minutes to figure it out.

So what is not working for you?

-Steve W