[OpenLayers-Users] Editing with openlayers: Proof needed that it ´s stable

"Uli Müller [geOps]" uli.mueller at geops.de
Tue Oct 23 14:35:02 PDT 2012

Am 23.10.2012 19:57, schrieb Stephen Woodbridge:
> On 10/23/2012 1:34 PM, Robert Buckley wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for some good client templates to use as examples for the
>> implementation of openlayers in order to edit vector data and saving it
>> to PostgreSQL.
>> The reason is that I am trying to get my employer to take a big step and
>> cancel the current contracts with a well known GIS software company which
>> charge extremely highlicence fees for GIS Software and change this to an
>> 100% opensource stack. Desktop = QGIS/SAGA , WebGIS =
>> Linux,Tomcat,geoserver,Openlayers, PostgreSQL/PostGIS
>>
>> I am able to state my case for geoserver/mapserver , PostgreSQL/PostGIS
>> but I am having difficulty providing examples of a stable webgis editing
>> environment.
>>
>> I would like to present a couple of demonstrations of web client which
>> has successfully implemented  a user friendly Editing environment which
>> uses normal GIS functions e.g. snapping. I would also like to
>> demonstrate how this is coded in javascript.
>>
>> The best that I know of are the following.
>>
>> http://ole.geops.de/ ...which doesn´t work.
>
> I just looked at this one and it seems to work fine. The only thing I
> see that is missing is a [Save] button. which should be easy to add.
>
> 1. add a polygon
> 2. add a line with 3-4 points
> 3. turn one snapping for the Editor layer
> 4. select [Modify Geometries]
> 5. select the polygon
> 6. move one of the polygon points to the line
>
> It will snap to the vertices are track along the line. This is a very
> nice demo and has a nice layout. I have not seen it before and it only
> took me 5 minutes to figure it out.
>
> So what is not working for you?
>
> -Steve W

Steve, thank you for this clarification!

Robert:

We (the initiators of OLE) have successfully used the OpenLayers Editor
OLE in several projects and it does indeed work.

OLE is only the JavaScript library. Of course you have to implement some
strategy to save your data. We provide at least four examples: local
storage and server backends based on mapfish, Zend PHP and Drupal.
Please see GitHub [1] or our blog [2] for details. The demo at
http://ole.geops.de uses local storage. Try it: Draw some geometries,
close your browser, open it again and go back to the demo. Your data
will still be there.

For the web gis stack you mention, I would like to point you to Cartaro
[3]. This includes GeoServer, OpenLayers, OLE, PostgreSQL/PostGIS and on
top of it all the CMS drupal.

Uli

[1] https://github.com/geops/ole
[2] https://www.geops.de/blog/Technologie?lang=en
[3] http://cartaro.org

>> or
>>
>> http://suite.opengeo.org/geoexplorer/composer/ ...which is way too
>> complicated for a code example
>>

>> I am hoping to convince them that a simple wfs editing environment is
>> easy is program in javascript.
>> Although I can safely say that openlayers is great for the display and
>> query of data, using the save strategy and implementing snapping is not
>> yet very user friendly.
>>

>> If anyone could maybe proove me wrong, I would be most grateful.
>>
>> Robert

-- geOps e.K. -------------------------------- Handelsregister A 702785,
Amtsgericht Freiburg NEU: Kaiser-Joseph-Strasse 263 D-79098 Freiburg