[OpenLayers-Users] Projection to show track that goes around the meridian

Christer Nordbø christer at gdm.no
Thu Apr 4 02:32:37 PDT 2013

I am using a custom tiled service based on Layer.OSM() - But i do believe
they want to change it to google maps or something in the future.
But this is something that i can specify if theres any problems with these
sort of tile providers.

When not doing it by vector, how would i place the line string? The
mapserver / osm layer does not have a function of addFeatures() so i can't
add the line string directly on it.

Currently I'm processing the positions manually by javascript, and for
each of the position reported, i create a point and then based on all the
points i create a line string.
I am then adding it to a vector layer and add the layer directly on to the
map object.

I got GeoServer installed as this was something i read about last night.
But this does not have any in-built tiles. And as I have never used
geoServer previously. I have no idea how it works.
I tried looking trough the documentation of it. But it doesn't bring up
any examples where it would provide a map as a default map. It does have
some layers as defaults. But only for smaller areas it would seem like.

But did you solve the problem at your end with GeoServer? Or are you still
looking for a fix for this?

I did read something here that goes into converting the coordinates when
crossing the meridian. But i was hoping there was some pre-made well
functioning fix for this as the problem has existed forever, and that
there would be some sort of fix for this after 4 years since this post :)
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/openlayers-users/2009-February/010480.html

Med vennlig hilsen / Kind regards,

Christer Nordbø
System developer
Global Digital Media

Global Digital Media
Gamle Forusvei 8, 4033 Stavanger, Norway