[OpenLayers-Users] restrict access to features / subsets

Thomas thomasfindichgut at gmx.de
Thu Apr 4 03:33:38 PDT 2013

dear users,

I want to build a webmapping-application whith restricted access for
several (probably some hundred) users.

The problem is that the restriction should not be set for individual layers
but for a subset of one layer (that will be used for all users).

(Each user belongs to a certain region (set as one attribute value in the
database-table) and each user should only be allowed to see the data of his
region as a subset of the whole layer.)

I could realize it just by using PHP and dynamically created
(PostGIS-)SQL-querys which could be rendered on the client-side but I would
prefer to use a WMS-service to get a better performance.

Apart from the performance-issues it would be interesting how to solve the
user-management in an most elegant way... so that all users can use the
same webmapping-app and see different features according to their
login-name.

Drupal or especially Cartaro ( http://cartaro.org , including
Drupal,OL/Geoserver) could be an interesting option because of the
possibility to combine the user-management of Drupal with the one of
Geoserver but I am not quite sure if it has to be as CMS.

Some needed functionalities would be easy to realize just by using OL and
some JavaScript-libraries but would be harder to realize if Drupal-Modules
would have to be adapted or created.

Does anyone of you have made experience with an issue like this before and
could give an advice?

thanks and best wishes,

Thomas