[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers 2.12 and IE10 messed up tiles

Jelmer Baas baas at speerit.nl
Mon Apr 29 01:16:00 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I would like to come back to this issue again because I'm not sure how to proceed. It seems this issue won't be fixed in OL2.12, but OL2.13 isn't usable, yet. Unfortunately, I'm getting more and more reports from users who upgraded to IE10 and now can't use my application without a nasty hack (i.e., enabling script debugging).

The reason for not going to OL2.13 are performance-related. Sure, it performs beautifully on a desktop or on a tablet with all tiles already loaded, but:
- Rolling the mousewheel zooms animated to the next zoomstep, but waits there until the animation is completely finished. This makes quickly zooming in and out difficult and much slower than before
- When zooming in, the images of the last COMPLETELY loaded zoom level are used. This means that with a slow loading layer zooming in looks very ugly.
- Most importantly: panning around on an iPad2 is painfully slow. As soon as new tiles are loaded, the interface simply hangs for a moment. If you continue moving around while the interface seems frozen, it takes even longer (a full second, sometimes).
This is noticable in the full-screen example with one layer, where the "without buffer" option performs much better but still not perfect. In my tests, having more than one layer active seems to make matters much worse.

I have tried using a tileManager to solve the performance issues, but that didn't appear to have any effect. Setting zoomMethod to null also didn't fix the stuttering issues.

Regards,
Jelmer Baas